Click on image to view video
Tostones (Double fries salted green plantains)
Serves 3 to 4
2 large green plantains, peeled and cut into 2-inch slices
2/3 cup canola oil for frying
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic
- Peel the plantain. Peel will be tough to remove . Cut ends of the plantain and slice the peel long ways and remove by hand.
- Cut the plantain into 2 inch slices
- In a large frying pan, fill with about an inch of oil and heat to medium heat.
- Once hot, place plantains in and cook for about two to three minutes on each side.
- Take the plantains out and place on a paper towel or cookie sheet. Flatten plantains one at a time using a to stone press or placing one at a time between the underside of two plates and press down to about 1/2 inch in thickness.
- Place back into the frying pan and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- As soon as they come out, sprinkle them with salt a garlic powder, coat well and serve.