Papa Rellena (Potatoes Stuffed with meat, breaded and fried)
Serves 5 to 6 (serving size 1)
5 russet potatoes
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp whole milk
3 large eggs (at room temperature)
1 cup all purpose flour (season with tsp of adobo)
1 cup of unseasoned bread crumbs (season with a tsp of adobo)
canola oil for frying
- Boil potatoes until fork tender. Mash the potatoes and add the salt along with the milk. Set a side and allow to cool to the touch.
- While your potatoes are cooling, set up three dishes or mixing bowls. In one bowl place the flour and seasoning, in the second bowl place the eggs, and in the third bowl place the bread crumbs and seasoning.
- Once cooled, spoon out a handful of potatoes making a small ball and push down your thumb in the center making a cup like shape. Stuff the hole with some meat (see below for recipe) and set it aside and repeat. You should now have two halves…Bring them together and form into a ball (this should be about the size of a tennis ball. Do the same with the remaining potatoes. Should yield you about 5 to 6 depending on the size of the potatoes you started with.
- Now that you have your potato balls made, you are ready to bread them. First cover them with flour, then place them in the bowl with the egg and make sure to cover the flour completely, now into the breading and cover evenly.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 4 hours ( can be done over night).
Frying your Potatoes
Using a frying pan that will allow you to fill it to about 1/3 the height of the stuffed potato heat oil to about 360 to 370 degrees F. Place the potatoes into the hot oil and fry for about 2 minutes and then roll the potatoes over to cook on the other side for an additional 2 minutes or until golden brown.
Filling – Seasoned Chop meat
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
a splash of olive oil (I like to use extra virgin)
1 clove of garlic minced
1/3 pound of ground beef (80/20)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 7 oz can of tomato sauce
In a frying pan, sauté the onions, green peppers and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add the meat and remaining ingredients and cook until the meat is completely cooked. Drain and cool.