Mariquitas – Green Plantain Chips
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
2 Green Plantains
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon Garlic powder
1 Cup of canola oil for frying
- Peel your plantains. Cut plantains along the seams or ridges and peel back in sections. The peel is some what difficult to peel off and that is why I cut it and peel it off in sections.
- Using a mandolin on the smallest setting, cut into very thin slices. You can them cut them into small rounds or in long stripes. It’s a matter of individual preference. I do them both ways. As a snack, I cut them in smaller rounds and with dinner, I usually slice them the long way. If you don’t have a mandolin, you can use a potato peeler or a sharp knife to make your slices.
- While you are making your slices, set a frying pan on the the stove and add the oil. Medium to high heat or about 350°.
- Once you have your chips sliced, place the in the oil and fry them until golden brown. About two to three minutes. ( stir them to keep them from sticking)
- While they are frying, mix together your garlic powder and salt.
- When your chips are done, remove them from the oil and place on a cookie sheet or on paper towels to drain any excess oil. Sprinkle them with salt and garlic mixture immediately. Serve warm.