Croquetas de Jamón Ham Croquettes
Yield: 12 to 16
1/2 stick of butter
1 onion, minced
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 pound ham, ground
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon white cooking wine
2 eggs , beaten
1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon garlic power
1 cup canola oil (for frying)
- In a pan on medium heat, add the onions and butter until onions are translucent.
- Add the 1/4 cup of flour and stir for a minute. Continue to stir until you have a very thick creamy sauce.
- Add the ground ham and the garlic and cook for a 5 to 6 minutes on low/medium heat.
- Remove the mixture and place into a glass or tin bowl and place it in the refrigerate to cool for a couple of hours (I typicially leave it overnight) .
- Shape the ham mixture into a tubular shape about 3/4-inch thick and three inches long.
- Set up three bowls for breading the croquettes. One with flour, the second with egg and the third with bread crumbs. Add the tablespoon of garlic powder to the bread crumbs.
- Flour the croquettee then dip them in the egg then coat with the bread crumbs.
- Place back into the refrigerator for an hour or two.
- In a frying pan at medium heat, add oil and fry the croquettes until golden brown (about a minute on each side), remove and place on a cookie sheet or paper towel to drain off any excess oil. Serve